Thanks for being interested in my research! I enjoy working with talents across the world. I am always looking for highly motivated graduate and undergraduate students, as well as postdoctoral fellows, who are enthusiastic about the areas of Information Visualization, Human-Computer Interaction, and Data Science. You will benefit from the big HCI group at University of Waterloo that consists of four faculty members who work on a diverse set of interesting topics! Also, take some time to learn about the School of Computer Science at the University of Waterloo, one of the best computer science programs worldwide!
Note that applicants with a Bachelor’s degree normally complete a M.Math. at University of Waterloo, prior beginning a Ph.D. Unlike most programs in the U.S., students in the M.Math. program are fully funded and expected to work full-time towards their research. If you have an equivalent Master’s degree elsewhere, you can apply the Ph.D. program directly; and if you are an exceptional undergraduate applicant, a Ph.D. direct program is available. Please read more information on the school’s website.
If you are looking for opportunities:
- You should be familiar with my research areas. Take a look of my recent publications, and tell me about your ideas. Professors love to talk about their research! Generic and unpersonalized inquiries do not help much.
- You should be genuinely interested in working on these areas. Not just for funding! You don’t need to be special talent, but you need to be passionately curious. Make it clear and concrete about your topics of interests (not just general terms like HCI and Visualization).
- For M.Math. and Ph.D. applicants who want to work with me, you should apply through the school (not me). However, feel free to tell me about your information (e.g., CV/Resume, transcripts), research interests, proposal of research, and thoughts on my work with overlapping interests (beyond generic comments), ideally through here.
- For undergraduate students who want to do research with me (e.g., through URA), please apply through here. Feel free to drop by my office and talk about your passion.
- For postdoctoral fellows who wish to join my lab, please see this.
- Please include “WatVis” in the subject of your email, otherwise you won’t get a response.